Substitute Teacher Information
If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher for East Orange, please be advised of the following information.
The New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) has changed the application process for substitute certificates.
DISTRICT REQUIRED MATERIALS:
- NJDOE Teaching Certificate(s)
- Pass the Trash Employment Verification
- Substitute Certificate (Not required if you have a teacher certification)
- Criminal Background Check - Fingerprinting procedure for new hires is required
- Copy of Physical Exam and Mantoux Tuberculin Test Results - If positive, we will require chest x-rays
- Official Transcripts - Must be from an accredited college and/or university.
- Supportive Forms of Identification for I-9 Purposes - Examples include social security card, drivers license, or birth certificate/passport
WE REQUIRE THESE ADDITIONAL ITEMS IF YOU HAVE NOT WORKED AS AN EMPLOYEE OF THE EAST ORANGE SCHOOL DISTRICT:
- Three Professional Reference Letters - Original copy must be on business letterhead, dated and signed
ITEMS NEEDED TO APPLY FOR A SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE:
We only require a substitute certificate if applicant does not hold a valid New Jersey DOE teaching certification.
- $128.00 - Payable to the Commissioner of Education (online)
- Criminal Background Check/Applicant Approval Employment History
- Completed Substitute Credential Application (online)
- Oath of Allegiance (online)
- Official Transcripts (uploaded online)
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.