Substitute Teacher Information
If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher for East Orange, please carefully read the following information.
To apply for a substitute position, we ask that you submit the following information and forms.
- NJDOE Teaching Certificate(s)
- Pass the Trash Employment Verification
- Substitute Certificate - Original must be registered in Essex County and hand-delivered to office for copying. (Not required if you have a teacher certification.)
- Criminal Background Check - Fingerprinting procedure for new hires is required.
- Copy of Physical Exam and Mantoux Tuberculin Test Results - If positive, we will require chest x-rays.
- Official Transcripts - Must be from an accredited college and/or university.
- Supportive Forms of Identification for I-9 Purposes - Examples include social security card, drivers license, or birth certificate/passport.
WE REQUIRE THESE ADDITIONAL ITEMS IF YOU HAVE NOT WORKED AS AN EMPLOYEE OF THE EAST ORANGE SCHOOL DISTRICT:
- Three Professional Reference Letters - Original copy must be on business letterhead, dated and signed.
ITEMS NEEDED TO APPLY FOR A SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE:
We only require a substitute certificate if applicant does not hold a valid New Jersey DOE teaching certification.
- $125.00 Money Order - Payable to the Commissioner of Education
- Criminal Background Check/Applicant Approval Employment History
- Completed Substitute Credential Application
- Notarized Oath of Allegiance
- Official Transcripts
The applicant will receive an RSVP link for the enrollment session on the application link listed below upon application approval.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.