Substitute Teacher Information
If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher for East Orange, please be advised of the following information.
The New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) has changed the application process for substitute certificates.
New Online Substitute Application ProcessAll substitute credential applicants must initiate their applications online through the New Jersey Educator Certification (NJEdCert) Portal at https://njedcert.force.com/manage/s/
DISTRICT REQUIRED MATERIALS:
- NJDOE Teaching Certificate(s)
- Pass the Trash Employment Verification
- Substitute Certificate (Not required if you have a teacher certification)
- Criminal Background Check - Fingerprinting procedure for new hires is required
- Copy of Physical Exam and Mantoux Tuberculin Test Results - If positive, we will require chest x-rays
- Official Transcripts - Must be from an accredited college and/or university.
- Supportive Forms of Identification for I-9 Purposes - Examples include social security card, drivers license, or birth certificate/passport
WE REQUIRE THESE ADDITIONAL ITEMS IF YOU HAVE NOT WORKED AS AN EMPLOYEE OF THE EAST ORANGE SCHOOL DISTRICT:
- Three Professional Reference Letters - Original copy must be on business letterhead, dated and signed
ITEMS NEEDED TO APPLY FOR A SUBSTITUTE CERTIFICATE:
We only require a substitute certificate if applicant does not hold a valid New Jersey DOE teaching certification.
- $128.00 - Payable to the Commissioner of Education (online)
- Criminal Background Check/Applicant Approval Employment History
- Completed Substitute Credential Application (online)
- Oath of Allegiance (online)
- Official Transcripts (uploaded online)
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.